Tuesday, February 13, 2018

I've Got the Blues!

Hello Everyone!

Last month I got the blues.  Not the winter blues, but some fabulous french terry blues from So Sew English.  I discovered this company via a couple of customers back in December and am SEW thankful!  It would be a disgrace to say how much I've purchased from them thus far considering the size of my stash, but my motivation is running strong right now and my machines are humming.  Here are a few pics of my Pamela's Patterns #116 Classic T-Shirt Dress in this luscious, pastel peach and blue French Terry

The inspiration behind this dress and the fabric???  My shoes!  And wouldn't you know...Pattern Review is running a contest, "Match Your Shoes".  The concept is to sew an outfit based on your shoes.  I'll admit my love of shoes.  Not a big jewelry girl, only have a few handbags, but pretty shoes are my weakness.  In addition, when my inbox fills up with sales emails from department stores, shoes are the first department to check out.  I think these were one of three pairs from a JCPenney online sale last year and they fit perfectly.  So when I saw this French Terry several weeks ago, I instantly thought of these shoes.  I've also included my pattern review info here so you don't have to open up a new window.  If you read my blog (and nobody does lol), you've seen these same alterations before.  My Pamela Classic T-Shirt pattern gets used a lot.  Here are a few more pics:



Don't let the lighting fool you.  It was cold!  It was only bearable because I LOVE cold weather.  The dress screams Spring with the floral print, but my heart belongs to winter :) .  We just had snow, but the temps have been in the 40's the past two days so my heels wanted to sink.  There were several pics with pained expressions of my almost falling over (no, they weren't included in this post ;) ).  But hey!  At least the ice melted.  Just give me more snow.
My super sale-priced shoes!  

I've included some late afternoon light pics as well.  Here's the pattern review so you don't have to open up a new window:

Pattern Description:

"A modern t-shirt dress that fits your upper AND lower body is now possible.  The classic style is perfect for any occasion--dressy, casual or work.  The best part of a nice dress?  You only need one piece of clothing to look fabulous!  Pamela's Patterns are designed with the most common fit alterations built right in --high round back, forward shoulder, full bust option, extra hip/tummy room, and a great fit in the neck and shoulder."

Pattern Sizing:

Sizing:  For the sizing, I used Small (34-36" high bust measurement) with the darted front option because I'm a C cup.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes, all my versions including this one looked like the pattern cover!  The exceptions are when I make my own design changes or make pattern modifications.


Were the instructions easy to follow?

Of course!  Pamela has well-written patterns with tips AND YouTube video tips sprinkled about her pattern. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Love the basic style with plenty of version suggestions including princess-seaming.  Pamela is detailed and thorough with her instructions and includes areas where she provides additional support via YouTube tutorials.  Various necklines, hemline and sleeve lengths are included for customization.  Once fitted, the pattern is super easy to modify for different looks if one possesses basic patternmaking skills.  The darted and undarted fronts are a great option, and the built-in extra room allows for easy draping on the body to customize the fit.

Dislikes?  Nothing.  I'm easy to please. Just give me a well-designed pattern, and I'm good to go!

Fabric Used:

A beautiful and soft French Terry from So Sew English.  I've discovered fabulous online fabric stores via my customers lately and so thankful for their fave fabric haunts.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I have been blessed to attend Pamela Leggett's classes on pants and knits.  She is fab, and that's another review.  Some alterations I already knew, but she zeroed in on a couple of areas that have really helped me achieve the best fit possible.  These are my alterations:

1.  5/8" upper body horizontal tuck on both the front, back, and sleeve pattern pieces.  Pamela determined the amount of the tuck needed and this was wonderful for me.  I couldn't tell the exact amount needed on her patterns, and since she has fitted at least a thousand people or so, she can tell just by looking at a person's body.  So helpful.

2.  Even though her patterns have a forward shoulder built in, I moved the entire shoulder seam allowance forward another 1/2" and added for 1" shoulder seam allowances.  This is pretty much what I do on all patterns and I tweak it in fabric as needed.

3.  Repositioned the dart and dart legs.  I loathe bust darts that are perfectly horizontal or close to it.  I've found that lower, more angled darts are more flattering on my body, kind of like French darts.  Also adjusted the dart point lower about 1/2" and tweaked in fabric.

4.  Altered the sleeve for forward shoulder by removing a 1/2" from the front sleeve seam allowances and moving it to the back sleeve seam allowances.  I have always been skeptical this would work well, and was pleased that this easy fix was a piece of cake that solved an issue I was making more complex (in pattern alterations) than it really was.  Needless to say, I told Pamela I was thrilled that this worked.

4.  Pamela pin-fitted the side seams on my figure for a flattering silhouette.  It's always helpful when someone with such extensive fitting talent can do this for me.   She knew the fit I was trying to achieve and with her help, I got it!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

See my happy face in the pics?  That answers both questions :) .  This is my wardrobe staple in my pattern stash.  Love, love, love this pattern.  Pamela's the best and so are her patterns.

<b>Conclusion: </b>

I use this pattern all the time.  It's easy to sew, fast, and produces a simple, clean silhouette.  I love redrafting this pattern and morphing it into other designs.

'Til next time...Happy Stitching!

--Kat

5 comments:

  1. Kat, I just recently found your blog again (used to be reader of old blog and I often read your PR comments as well after you helped me with a dart rotation question many yrs ago.

    I loved reading your reviews esp on this particular pattern, looks like its super versatile! Is that 5/8 adjustment the same as petite adjustment ?

    Also you mentioned you moved the entire shoulder seam half inch in step 2. IS that way you had to adjust the sleeve in step 4 or is that a whole new different alteration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, the 5/8" adjustment was using the "petite" lines on the pattern. I simply brought the bottom line up to the top line and taped. That was easy because matching the two lines took out the 5/8" vertical length--no measuring necessary :) . Yes, step 4 was due to the forward shoulder alteration. This is shown in the Palmer Pletsch Fitting book, but I never tried moving the seamline of the sleeve this way until Pamela said to try it. I was making things much harder for myself, and the ease of doing it the PP way was awesome.

      Delete
  2. Oh, and the dress looks FABULOUS on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Much of the credit goes to the late Shannon Gifford and Pamela Leggett :) .

      Delete
  3. So it would be good for someone that already knows how to hand embroider well, and you could just pretend your "added in later" stitches, were just even the needle drops of a hand held needle with hand embroidery floss in them even and create any new embroidery design you want that way too even. vector digitizing

    ReplyDelete