Monday, February 12, 2018

Sharpen the Pencil



This pencil is pretty darn sharp!  I'm loving a new-to-me pattern company, Patterns for Pirates.  The line is cute every day clothes for both home and work with plenty of hacks so repeats take on a different look.  One of my faves is the Pencil Skirt.  It's a beginner  knit pattern for a traditional, tight fitting pencil skirt. The silhouette is labeled as classic and flattering on a curves!  I'm not exceptionally curvy, but it emphasizes what I've got!  Options include: mid rise, high rise, above knee, below knee, midi length and optional walking vent.  I made the high rise, below knee, and no vent.

Did you see the pattern price on the P4P website?  It's FREE.  Yes, FREE.  I could say FREE, FREE, FREE until I'm blue in the face.  EVERYONE loves free :) !

Patterns for Pirates Pencil Skirt and Jalie Cocoon Cardigan



Why not join their Facebook group and "purchase" the free pattern.  No cost whatsoever.  I purchased some navy/white striped knit fabric from So Sew English and whipped up this little number in no time.  I used my measurements and graded the pattern accordingly, however, after wearing it a day at work it felt like it was going to fall off because the fabric is super stretchy.  So I restitched the side seams and adjusted the waistband and all was good.  I was very happy it looked like the pattern on the website.

The instructions were VERY easy to follow, very detailed, and very thorough with full color illustrations.  This downloadable pattern has size overlays so you simply pick the sizes you want to print out.  It's multi-sized with is great.  Just blend between sizes and true up as needed.  Love that the pattern is free, quick and easy, and a great knit makes it flattering.  No dislikes.

The fabric used was a waffle knit from SoSewEnglish.com and there were no design changes made to the skirt other than size blending.  I did mold the fabric to fit my minimal curves.  It's fantastic that it makes me look curvy!  My conclusion of this pattern:  It's perfect for all levels of sewing, super fast and easy, and yes I will sew it again.  It's perfect for a serger project too.

The cardigan is a Jalie Cocoon Cardigan, a pattern which I purchased several years ago.  The Jalie is a paper pattern unlike the P4P patterns which are downloadable and printed out on your home printer.  However, it does look like Jalie now has downloadable ones, too, similar to P4P including layers.  The cocoon cardi was made from a substantial fleece.  It's a great pattern for both heavy and lighter knits, although the fabric used will determine the degree of drape.

The cardigan is a dolman-sleeved, loose-fitting open-front jacket.  The hem is banded and longer in the back.  The description says the cuffed sleeves stay put when you lift them...hmmm...I guess that is kind of true.  I usually just roll them up if necessary.  The description says it's a  great transitional piece or swimsuit cover up.   Maybe, but I'd lengthen it a couple of inches to cover my bum if making it as a swimsuit coverup.

As for sizes, it has an amazing 27 layers.  It has been so long since I've made this that I can't remember the size, maybe a T?  Also, it is sized for stretch knits.  I was very happy the cardi looked like the model's on the envelope, and the instructions were super easy to follow.  This project is perfect for a serger.  I love everything about this pattern and  did not make any design changes, nor alterations.  I stitched another one in a lighter weight tan fleece which has more drape.  It's great with both fabrics.

I highly recommend the Jalie Cocoon Cardi pattern and have worn it to work many times and frequently get positive comments on it.  In fact, I even taught a class on making this garment.  All the cardis came out great!  I'm going to make this one a couple more times in a lighter weight knit for cold summer days.  Yes, I did say that ;) .  It's freezing at work almost every day of the year lol.  Some of my sewing sisters know what I mean.  It seems like 50% of women are either freezing or hot, and my joke is my job is in Siberia.  It's great to have a coworker with hot flashes.  She loves my cold hands, and I love her warm arms lol.  'Til next time,

Happy Stitching,

--Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment